These are big, soft, fabulous gingerbread cookies. I realize I don't actually own any cookie cutters, so round cookies are the way that I roll.  This recipe makes about 15 large-ish cookies, which is the perfect number to have around our house. When I make these for a gathering or for gifting at Christmas, I double the recipe.

Recipe is slightly adapted from allrecipes.com.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour

Method:
1. In a large bowl, add the sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda. Stir to combine.


2. Add the melted margarine, molasses, milk, and vanilla, stirring to mix.


3. Add flour one cup at a time, stirring well to ensure it is incorporated. Chill completed dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.


4. Knead the dough a few times on a well-floured surface. Make into balls and flatten, then place on cookie sheet. My flattened dough balls are about 3 inches across.


5. Bake in 375°F oven for 10-12 minutes. Be sure to check them, as the bottoms can turn on you and brown/burn really fast.


6. Cool on wire rack and ice with your favourite icing. I use a simple icing sugar and water (or milk) mixture that just adds a nice amount of sweet to the top of the cookie. Super yum!


Posted by Jen B On Thursday, February 27, 2014 6 comments

6 comments:

  1. I like the little one you snuck in there. Tim would have said to me, had it been my bake sheet, "What's with that turdball over there?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - that little turdball was supposed to show what the balls looked like before I flattened them. But I'm with you - if I have a little bit of dough left, I will definitely try to squeeze it on to the pan. No sense dirtying a whole new cookie sheet for just one little cookie. I'll make it fit (or eat it....).

      Delete
  2. Looks good! I especially like that you iced them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The icing adds just a little something extra. These cookies are good! :)

      Delete
  3. They look good, but I'm not a huge fan of gingerbread cookies. Probably just as well. It's not like I don't eat enough cookies! Haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah! I like too many kinds of cookies!!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy