I made pie crust dough this afternoon and it was actually really easy to make. I haven't got around to rolling it yet, but so far so good.

Today was my first attempt at making my own pie crust. I don't know the merits of the different fats that could be used for crust, but I had vegetable shortening on hand so I went with that. I also used the recipe on the side of the shortening box because I am not fussy.


Mix 2.5 cups of flour with 1 tsp of salt. Add 1 cup of cold vegetable shortening, cut into cubes. Mix with a pastry blender.


Mix until the dough looks like pea sized pebbles. Add 3-6 tbs of ice cold water and mix until the dough forms a ball, but is not sticky. I used 5 tbs to achieve this.

 
Shape balls into discs and store in fridge for 1 hour or more for ease of rolling.

I might make my pie later today or early tomorrow. Can't wait to show you how it turns out! 


Posted by Jen B On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4 comments

4 comments:

  1. I am catching up backwards.

    Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya it is pretty fun actually. Kinda freeing to just start over again. I will try again soon.

      Delete
    2. Making crusts are fun. Often I ground almonds for crust.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy