Last month I tried making sweet potato pie for the first time. One bite and I was in love. It had the consistency and flavour of pumpkin pie, but with its own unique sweetness.

The recipe I used for the sweet potato pie was excellent, but it had a lot more steps than my usual pumpkin pie. The thing I love most about a pumpkin pie is just how easy it is to make. Whisk the few ingredients together in a bowl. Pour into a pie shell. Done.

I wondered if sweet potato pie could be just as easy.

So I did an experiment where I made my usual easy pumpkin pie recipe, but used sweet potato puree instead of pumpkin puree. I really hoped that it would bake and taste the same, as sweet potatoes are cheap and available year round. If it tasted awesome, I would never have to buy canned pumpkin puree again.

Not only did this substitution work, it worked awesome! The pie was easy to make, tasted great, and because the sweet potatoes are a little sweeter than pumpkin, no whipped cream was needed for the top. Just completely perfect on its own. Rad. So from now on, all pumpkin pies will be sweet potato pie.

'Easy as Pumpkin Pie' Sweet Potato Pie, recipe slightly adapted from Eagle Brand.

2 cups sweet potato puree (about 3 small sweet potatoes or 1.5lbs)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 unbaked pie crust (9 inch)

To make sweet potato puree, steam sweet potatoes until soft. Cool slightly, then add to food processor and puree until smooth.


In a large bowl, add sweet potato puree, spices, sweetened condensed milk, and eggs. Mix with a whisk until blended.
Pour into pie crust.

Bake for 15 minutes in 425°F oven. Turn oven down to 350°F and continue baking for 35-40 minutes. Pie is done when knife inserted 1 inch from crust comes out clean.


Posted by Jen B On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10 comments

10 comments:

  1. No whipped cream???? It's not there to add sweetness (well, even though it does). It's there because it's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! Must. Have. Whipped. Cream!

    Anyway, your pie looks delicious. I always figured sweet potato and pumpkin pie were the same, just swapping out with a different veggie! Glad to see you proved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whipped cream is so good! I do love it, but at this point I'm happy to save on the calories! haha. Once in a while, I'm sure I've have it on this pie.

      I'm so glad I could substitute the sweet potatoes so easily!

      Delete
  2. The only whipped cream we eat is homemade, and preferably organic. So flippin' good. That said, I don't like whip on my apple crumbles. Tim does. But I digress. Great job with the experiment. Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Experimenting was fun... the result was pie!! :)

      Delete
    2. We never made it to Barnes tonight. Tim came home with a killer headache, so I used the homemade sub rolls and made hot subs. Then he took me to Aldi and then into town for local maple sryup. We were all out.

      Delete
    3. Homemade sub rolls would be excellent! Hope his headache cleared quickly.

      Delete
    4. Took a bit but thankfully, he woke feeling better.

      Will send you the photo of my sub rolls now.

      Delete
  3. Great! Looks scrumptious. When I make sweet potato pie I always spice it up with cinnamon and nutmeg, and, of course - BUTTER. There are many versions of how to make this down-home Southern dish. Do it anyway you like. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are sooo many recipes, glad you have one you like. I tired a different one earlier this year with butter and nutmeg and it was great. For this one, I just wanted a recipe I could easily make so I could make it more regularly...because I love this pie and want to eat it all the time!

      Thanks for stopping by! Hope you are having a great day! Cheers!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy