This spring/summer I've been pretty excited about baseball. I started following the Toronto Blue Jays at the start of the season and have had a fun time learning about all the players, MLB rules, and watching the team hit a tonne of home runs (see: Edwin Encarnacion in May).

I haven't been this into baseball since I was a kid and played Oro Minor Softball during the summers. My dad had two boys who weren't interested in baseball (they liked farming and computers respectively), but his baby daughter loved baseball. I can't say I was great at it, but I loved playing and there's a trophy on my shelf that says my team won First Place in 1991, so we must have been pretty good.

Thinking about my childhood baseball days always makes me think of Peter, Paul, and Mary singing "Right Field". Not only did Dad get me interested in baseball, but great music too. Adult me can't get to the end of this song without tearing up (just like I can't get to end of Field of Dreams without tears in my eyes...). There is just something about baseball.




Posted by Jen B On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7 comments

7 comments:

  1. That was fun post to read. Made me smile, all the way through. Thanks for sharing that story with us. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying so. It was fun to remember and I spent much of the day trading stories back and forth with dad. Apparently I caught a ball in right field one game and then threw it to second to get the advance runner. I don't remember making that double play, but it was fun to hear dad tell me about it. :)

      Delete
    2. That is very cool. Hope your food tonight was KILLER!

      Delete
  2. Such a fun post! This brings back so many memories from my childhood. I grew up with two brothers, all male cousins, and a neighbourhood full of boys. So...you can just imagine the amount sports I played and how many sports cards I traded along with everyone else! And baseball was a HUGE part of our childhood. I was never part of an official team (just neighbourhood stuff), but we had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your memories. So neat that baseball was part of your childhood too. I had two brothers as well and used to spend time with them and all their friends so I was one of the boys growing up. We were always outside riding bikes and having fun. Great times!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy