One minute mug treats are just the best. They are quick, easy, use on hand ingredients, and they save me a trip to the store (and some money) if I have a craving that just won't quit. They also produce no leftovers, which stops any secondary snacking that could happen later. They really are the perfect treat solution for me. My go to is normally Mug Coffee Cake, but Mug Brownie is perfect for chocolate cravings.

I recently got some coconut oil and wanted to try it in my baking. It initially felt weird to use it, as I normally purchase and use coconut oil as a moisturizer or bath oil. I had to remind myself it was food and perfectly good to eat. I replaced the butter in the mug brownie recipe with coconut oil and was really pleased with the results. The brownie was pretty much exactly the same as the butter version but with a subtle hint of coconut (which was lovely).

For my Mug Brownie, I use the recipe found here. I cut the original recipe in half as I found the full recipe made a little too much brownie for me.

Mug Brownie
1 tbs coconut oil (or butter), melted
1 tbs water
splash vanilla
dash salt
1 tbs cocoa powder
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs flour
Coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, flour, cocoa powder
Method
1. Choose a mug perfect for the occasion. I chose my Care Bear Cousins mug, as I wanted to "treat myself to something special" as they suggest.


2. Melt coconut oil in mug. Using a whisk, mix oil, water, vanilla, and salt until mixed.

3. Add coca powder and whisk until mixed. Add sugar and whisk until mixed. Add flour and whisk until mixed.

Pre- microwave
 4. Microwave for 60 seconds.

1 minute brownie!
Enjoy as is, or got nuts and add whip cream and dark chocolate chips to the top.


Have fun!
Posted by Jen B On Monday, July 14, 2014 8 comments

8 comments:

  1. I tell ya it is the best, that coconut oil. Hope you give it a go in rough puff pastry as well. And cookies, scones, even stir-fry. I love it and use it in bake after bake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And frosting. Makes a great maple frosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I never thought about frosting. That sounds good! Will have to try it for sure.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Tim loved it and didn't even know that it was refined coconut oil. Takes a bit to get the taste down that suits you, but man alive, does it go good on an organic carrot cupcake. Killer stuff.

      I want to do a comparison between the non-hydrogenated organic shortening and the refined organic coconut oil. Cupcake for cupcake. In maple, vanilla, maple vanilla and chocolate. Then I thought wait, how about Valentine's Day. We can make PINK frosting.

      Oh my gosh, my brain just might explode.

      Delete
  3. Oh, good stuff! My daughter makes mug brownies quite often. I will try this out, and pass her the recipe! Thanks for sharing such great treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and reading! I love how easy it is to make quick treats now.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow that was great! Thank You...I had bought coconut oil at Aldi's and had no idea what to do with it....now I do and chocolate craving fixed! Easy peasy, hubs liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic!! Glad you liked it. I think it tastes great in food.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy