This past Canada Day I was feeling festive and tried making butter tarts for the first time. I used some pre-made tart shells and Mom's recipe for the filling. They were delicious and really easy to make. They were the perfect addition to my Canada Day. I'm really excited to make these again - I just love them.

If you want to learn more about this fun little dessert, check out the Wikipedia page which has lots of great info.

Butter Tarts
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
3 tbsp soft butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts or raisins or nothing)
12 pre-made tart shells


Combine sugar, corn syrup and butter until mixed. Next add egg, vanilla, salt and pecans. Stir.


Place mixture into 12 tart shells, aiming for 2/3 full.


Bake at 425°F for 8 minutes. Lower temperature to 350°F and continue baking until filling is set and pastry is cooked, about 18 more minutes.





 Enjoy!!

Posted by Jen B On Thursday, July 10, 2014 6 comments

6 comments:

  1. Love it, love it, love it.

    I didn't get to tell you, I think yet, that we're headed to this big
    shoppe that has ALLLL kinds of used and new baker's toys.

    Going to look for non-disposable pie molds. I hope I find a few
    different sizes. If not, I did find some online.

    Anyway, your treats look FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying so! You will have to let me know about what you find at the new/used baker toy shop! Part of the fun is looking around to find something amazing. I hope you find great stuff!

      Delete
    2. So many wonderful finds, and all free. Cannot wait to email you the pictures. I love this store.

      Delete
    3. So I went to two markets and neither of them had golden (corn), syrup. I have a few more places to try and then after that, I might try something else.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE THESE! Butter tarts...mmmm.... If I make these for the family, they will worship me :) Thanks for the recipe. And it looks so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were super easy. Pre-made tart shells made it really quick too! :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy