Cadbury Creme Eggs are the best. I love the week following Easter because you can get them for $0.20 a piece or less. They are the perfect mix of sweet and chocolate and I love that they are also really gooey. This year I thought I would try making them at home.

One of favourite YouTube channels, Cooking with Karma, has a great video tutorial on how to make them and I used her recipe (slightly modified). I also made a smaller batch, as I didn't want to have too many of these kicking around.

Bulk Barn had Easter candy molds on sale for $1.50, so I got one for my egg making adventure.


For this recipe I used:
1.5 cups milk chocolate chips, melted
3/4 cups of icing sugar
1 tbs butter
2 tbs corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
Yellow food colouring


For the Cream Centers:
Mix butter, corn syrup, and vanilla in a bowl. Add icing sugar and mix until completely incorporated. 


Place a third of the icing sugar mixture in a separate bowl and dye yellow for the yolks.


Add a little bit of water, a 1/4 tsp at a time to the white and yellow sugar mixtures until they are the gooey consistency of a creme egg.


For the Chocolate:
I made the eggs in two different ways.
Way one: Big Eggs.

Fill the candy egg mold completely, chill until slightly hardened (about 8 min), and scoop out the middles of the molds.

Way two: Half Eggs.
Paint egg mold with melted chocolate (I used a silicone brush). Let harden.


 For both methods, fill the eggs with white and yellow cream.


For the Big Eggs, glue eggs together with melted chocolate. For the Half Eggs, cover cream with melted chocolate.

Big Eggs:

Half Eggs:

They tasted pretty close to Cadbury Creme Eggs, but not enough to keep me from buying the real thing. I'm excited to see what else I can make with the egg molds, as chocolates are pretty tasty and they go pretty quickly in this house.


Posted by Jen B On Thursday, April 17, 2014 9 comments

9 comments:

  1. This is so fun. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watched a few quick videos of hers - headed to market so I'll come back for more - but great videos. This is what I want to do someday so it's good to watch how others put their shows together.

      Thanks for doing this post. So much flippin' fun.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for these comments. There is such a positive energy in them that I can't help but smile. I'm looking forward to making more chocolates for sure.

      Glad you like her videos. I get mesmerized watching cooking shows. If I don't stop myself I could watch video after video for hours. I can't wait to spend a whole day watching your videos! I know they will be great. :)

      Delete
    3. They are fun to watch, totally agree.

      So get this, this morning I was thinking about making a bacon, egg and cheese. Then I saw your post after this one. It kills me.

      We ended up with blueberry waffle sticks.

      Thanks for the nice words. I really enjoy your blog a great deal. Super inspiring.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that was creative! You would think that home-made would taste better than store-bought. Anydiddles, they look so pretty. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They tasted great, but the flavour was just slightly different that the real thing. And I'm a huge sucker for the real ones. Mmmmmm.....

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of the half eggs... I always find that I'm sick of the real ones before I'm halfway done. Were the homemade ones less sweet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were less sweet, and just a little different. But pretty easy to make so a good replacement. The half ones are a good choice. The full ones were really big - but I'm sure I could find a smaller egg mold if I wanted them smaller.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy