I was not a big fan of January or February so I wanted to celebrate them finally being over with a big, yummy meal. March has already shown warmer temperatures and way more outdoor time for me, so I am overjoyed that we are finally getting out of this winter. Also, any excuse to make a turkey is kind of how I roll.

We just picked up some old fashioned bacon and John suggested we put some over the breast of the bird while it roasted. I gave it a shot and the turkey and gravy tasted great. It didn't really taste like bacon, but I think it basted the bird with awesomeness. I even got some crispy snackin' bacon while the turkey was settling on the counter. Mmmmm...snackin' bacon.


Posted by Jen B On Friday, March 21, 2014 6 comments

6 comments:

  1. That's some good eatin'. Did you ever make turkey stock or broth? Oh my goodness, such great flavour and different from chicken. Though I like chicken too, there was something refreshing about the turkey stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you just reminded me I made some turkey stock in December but hid it in the deep freeze so I forgot about it. Will have to look it up and see if it is still good. If not I have a new bag of bones from this turkey I could boil up. Love turkey soup. It is my absolute favourite.

      Delete
    2. Should be still good. And yummy.

      Delete
    3. Great! I'm definitely going to make soup this week. Mmmmm....

      Delete
  2. I've never cooked a proper turkey. I've always gotten one of those turkey log things, because the kids wouldn't even try it, and I didn't want a whole leftover turkey. But they tried it this year, and I think they even liked it. I may just cook a turkey for my birthday. :) Any tricks I should know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you try it!! They are way easier than you may think...basically just set it and forget it! The only tip I would say is to just be aware that the last half hour is hectic (turkey out of the oven, stuffing out, gravy making, mashing potatoes, heating veggies, etc.). All the action is in that last half hour. I make sure no one is the kitchen to bug me, or if they are, they are only there to help.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy