So I forgot I loved knitting. But yesterday I remembered.

I want to knit myself a balaclava, but I thought I should make sure I still have knitting skills before I try out a new pattern. So I picked up the needles on a project I started THREE years ago. A winter hat for John. I guess he has just gone without all this time. It has been so long since I knit something that wasn't a dish cloth, that I actually had to look at my knitting book to make sure I was purling correctly. Thankfully I have retained my skills and knit pretty much all day yesterday.

I accompanied my day of knitting with bad fantasy movies. I started with the 2011 Conan the Barbarian (it was terrible), moved on to Krull, and ended with The Sword and the Sorcerer. None of them were the kind of movie you had to pay attention to, so I focused on knitting and had some fantastically terrible background noise.

I might actually complete John's winter hat this winter. I made some significant progress yesterday.


I also started knitting myself a 1st year Gryffindor scarf, because I've had the yarn for years and just never got around to making it. Now is the time!


Posted by Jen B On Monday, January 13, 2014 8 comments

8 comments:

  1. Cool beaners. Love stuff like this. Over the weekend I started crocheting (wow, did I spell that right), doggy blankets out of pieces of fleece. I am also doing one with no needles at all, it's quit fun.

    So what's your favorite kinds of yarn? Is there Joann's near you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to learn to crochet. I love creating practical stuff. Super fun.

      I love any soft yarn or chunky yarn. I just looked up Joann's and wish we had one. Our only option is Michael's or the limited stock at Wally. We are too small to have an actual yarn store (they have tried and sadly failed).

      Delete
    2. Our Wally's used to have a ton of yarn and fabric but not anymore. Hey, are you able to print online coupons from Michael's?

      Delete
    3. We can print the coupons from their site or just pull up the coupon on a smart phone. The Michael's closest to us is still 45 minutes away, so I rarely go.

      Delete
  2. I hate knitting, but like crocheting. With knitting if you drop a stitch, it can pretty much drop several rows down. In crocheting if you drop a stitch, you drop ONE stitch. Crocheting has LESS stress! Haha! Unfortunately, knitted sweaters look better than crocheted ones.

    Now, I would have thought you'd be knitting on circular needles for a hat. At least, that's what my mother (who can probably knit up a sweater in a couple of days) uses. When I want a sweater, I send her the pattern and yarn and have her make it for me. Much quicker that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried crochet yet but I know I will try to learn at some point. That is great that you have a knitter-on-demand! Mom's are the best!

      Hats can definitely be knit in the round (circular needles) but I have only ever tried in the flat (strait needles). You just need to weave the edges together at the end to complete the hat. I need to budget some time one day to watch some videos on working with circular needles - I have three or four pairs of them, I just haven't tried them out yet.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you've rediscovered your love of knitting! :) And a whole day of just watching movies and making things sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see your finished products. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was really so nice. I need to make more time for knitting.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy