Around suppertime last night, I noticed there was leftover mac and cheese, but not enough for both of us.

John said: "You have it and I'll make something later."

We've been together long enough that I know full well that the 'something' he made later would be 1000x better than the mac and cheese. By that time, I would already be full of my supper and be extremely envious of whatever he spontaneously came up with.

I told him I wanted what he was having (I trusted it would be amazing), and we agreed the mac and cheese could become a side dish or a snack for later.

John asked: "Do we have chicken?" We did. Then the words "spicy chicken" came out of his mouth and he just does what he does, which is make something truly amazing out of nowhere. He doesn't use a recipe, he doesn't measure, and I am pretty sure he doesn't know what the final result will be until he is halfway through cooking it. He definitely has mad kitchen skills.

Which allow this to happen:

Spicy curry chicken
John also took the sweet potato I was going to steam, diced and spiced it, and we had curried sweet potatoes on the side, all served over basmati rice. Take that mac and cheese leftovers!

My spontaneous curry plate
The flavour combinations were all amazing and John said: "I just wanted to have something that tasted really good." We definitely did and I get to have the leftovers for lunch today. Mmmmm...


Posted by Jen B On Thursday, January 16, 2014 13 comments

13 comments:

  1. It's good you two have the same taste in food. My husband and I don't. Which is why we have lots of hot sauce on hand - he can spice it up as much as he wants as long as it stays on his plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - as long as you have worked out a system. I'm so happy John and I have a lot of the same tastes.

      Delete
  2. Yeppers, that's the way I do my chicken as well. Just made some last night, actually.

    Recipes and formulas have their place, but not with stuff like this. You gotta just go with it, which sadly, not enough cookery books encourage.

    Have a groovy weekend to you both. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to you too! It is so neat you cook that way too - there is a wonderful style about it that I really admire. I need to practice more with spice so I can be more spontaneous about adding it.

      Delete
    2. Making tomato sauce now, and it's just toss in this and that and simmer for two billion hours. It's not rocket science. It's just food.

      What stops you from trusting yourself?

      Delete
    3. Oh I do it with spaghetti sauce, chili, stew, and all the things I've made a million times. But the way John throws different masalas together and it comes out tasting perfect, that is magic to me.

      Delete
    4. You can be just as magical. I know this to be true.

      Delete
  3. OMG! Yes, you live with a genius. I consider myself a sort of culinary magician, too. Hello. My name is Bobbybegood1 and I enjoy your blog and will follow. I found your blog via "The Happy Whisk," which is a lovely blog itself. I hope we become blogbuddies. I am DEFINATELY going to try John's recipe. And wait with anticipation of what it will turn out to be. Because I, too, DO NOT measure anything, except when baking desserts. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much for your comment and the follow! I am following you back now too! So happy that you stopped by my blog and looked around. Really appreciate it. Hope you make something wonderful! :)

      Delete
  4. Happy are we cosmic sisters or something? We both crochet, like food and read Buddhism? Nothing is unusual with crochet, food or Buddhism on there own, but when you combine all three -- now that's powerful stuff. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely powerful all mixed together! Watch out world, here we are! :) Cheers, hope you are having a fantastic day.

      Delete
  5. That definitely looks 1000 times better than leftover mac and cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy