Well John has a new winter hat and it only took 3 years for him to get it. It's been extremely cold this winter, so this was a good time for me to complete it.

But you might be wondering why a simple hat pattern took three years to complete. Well, it didn't really - the knitting itself only took about 4 days of dedicated knitting. Unfortunately the motivation to knit it took a lot longer to pin down.

Here is the project as it was three years ago:


After completing the K2P2 ribbing, I got tired of making the hat. I also got distracted from knitting by my life and other projects, and it just sort of stayed on the needles until two weeks ago when I remembered that knitting is the best.


I spent an entire afternoon/evening knitting and knocked out a whole lot of stockinette rows.

I picked up the needles again last Thursday and then was able to do the decreasing rows and seam it on Friday. And done!!
The best part is that the hat actually fits him! I had made myself the same hat (but with a pom pom) and it was too small for him (I have a small head). I made his hat bigger by adding 20 extra stitches when I began the project. I'm a novice knitter, so I didn't really know if that would be enough or too little, but it sounded good. I also did some basic math to make sure the decreases would still work with the extra stitches, and I was pretty sure they would (they did!). Also, John has declined a pom pom for his hat.
Posted by Jen B On Monday, January 27, 2014 8 comments

8 comments:

  1. It's so cold and windy boy, am I SUPER HAPPY that I don't have to go out. Bright though, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Or would that be Warm! :) You should have had him model it! The back of the head would have sufficed (if he's shy, that is).

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative. Cute as a button. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks so much! Really appreciate it! Cheers to you too!! :)

      Delete
  4. When I still knit years ago I always found ribbing to be the most tedious part of the process and many of my projects went left on the needles as well. Great job Jen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sooooo tedious, right? I often look down at the knitting and think: "Did I just K2? or P2? Or just K1? What am I doing?" It really needs way more focus than I want to give to it. But that hat is done. Thanks for the compliment and the comment. Much appreciated! :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy