One of our Canadian grocery chains, Loblaws, recently introduced a loyalty card program. The main idea is you get rewarded with points when you shop at their store. 1000 points = $1.00 in store credit, so add up enough points and you get free stuff.

The closest Loblaws chain to us is The Real Canadian Superstore. It is actually the grocery store I shop at the least. My only reasons to shop there are for the hot deli and various PC products (usually bacon or chips - and sometimes a combo of the two). From time to time they do have sales worth going for, but mainly I do my grocery shopping at the Food Basics.

I was interested in the PC Plus loyalty card though, as the flyer indicated that the bacon we normally buy would earn us 1000 points ($1.00 in store credit). The points never expire, so I really just thought I would buy bacon over the next few years and get my 20,000 points ($20), which is the amount of points you need to earn before you can redeem your rewards.

Then I looked at the flyer more closely. Last week value size Palmolive dish soap (1.1 L) was on sale for $2.47, and also came with 2,500 points. So basically spend $2.47, get $2.50 back. I thought that was a pretty stellar deal. Since you need at least 20,000 points to redeem them, I bought 8 bottles of Palmolive (obviously!). Each bottle earned me 2,500 points, so 8 x 2,500 = 20,000.


So 8 bottles of Palmolive with tax was $22.33, but then 20,000 points ($20) was put on my rewards card. Getting the deal was great, but the experience was made even better because the cashier was really excited for me. He said: "I know someone who is going to get a great deal if they have a points card!" The cashier even tried to use me as an example to the guy in front of me of why he should sign up for the program (it's free to join). The guy in front didn't want a rewards card, but it made me feel good to be a celebrated deal getter.

Here is why I loved this deal so much:
(a) what you spent and what you got back was equal (plus you got a lot of product too)
(b) the product was practical and non-perishable
(c) it was a low cost investment (I only spent $20)

Now it wouldn't be a deal for me if I just wasted my free money on just anything, so I went back to the store and bought what we usually buy: bacon.


We love this bacon and buy it regularly, dividing it into portions and freezing it for weekly meals. 1kg of this stuff (2.2 lbs) is $9.99. Two packs cost $19.98, but in order to redeem my points I had to spend at least $20. So I bought a grocery bag for $0.05! I normally take re-useable bags, but this was a great reason to buy one. The total sale was $20.04, but we don't have the penny in Canada anymore, and to my surprise, The Real Canadian Superstore rounds down their prices to accommodate the lack of the penny. So my total was $20 even, all paid for by the loyalty card.

Plus, the bacon also earned points (the flyer said 1000 points, but they each rang in at 2000 points). So I currently have $4.00 on my loyalty card. How cool is that?

So to summarize (because I am so damn excited about it!):

I spent $22.33, got 8 bottles of dish soap and $20 in store credit. Then spent the free $20 on bacon and a shopping bag, and currently have $4.00 in store credit. The way I look at it, I bought bacon like I normally do, but got over 8 L of free dishsoap and $4 in store credit.

Now having said all this, last week was the first week of the rewards program, which could be why they had such a great points deal. This weeks flyer didn't have any deals that appealed to me, so who knows if something so good will come around again. I know I will be watching for it, though. If it turns out this is my one and only PC Plus deal, I'm happy to say it was a damn good one!

Posted by Jen B On Monday, November 25, 2013 8 comments

8 comments:

  1. Hey .... love these pictures and deals. WOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

    Alright. Gotta go hit my chores now, already in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the WOOHOOO!!! Loved it! :)

      Are there lots of loyalty card programs at stores in the States??

      Delete
    2. I don't know. For my area, we have loyalty cards, points, promos, coupons, bogos and all kinds of ways to save. Tim said we had Loblaws here. Gone now.

      Do you have an Aldi?

      Delete
    3. You guys have lots of ways to save - so awesome!

      No Aldi up here. :(

      Delete
  2. WHAAAAAAAAT?!? I've been debating on whether I should sign up for this and you have convinced me!! I'm a die-hard PC buyer, so I don't think it will take long for stuff to add up. Also, I LOVE COUPONS/SAVING MONEY, so I'm seriously going to be all over this. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something really nice about the PC products, eh? Good quality stuff. The card was easy to sign up for and it's free and hopefully will get you free stuff! If you shop at their store anyway, the points will definitely add up. I always like a deal best when it's stuff you would buy anyway.

      Delete
  3. We do most of our shopping at Loblaws... I'm gonna have to get on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you shop there anyway, you can definitely earn some points. The weekly flyer will list items that will earn points and how many. Last week at our store they had a deal that for every $20 you spent on vegetables you got 5000 points ($5). If you are buying veggies there anyway, why not get five free dollars. Hope there are lots of good points deals to come! :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy