It's my birthday tomorrow, so we had a big turkey dinner last night at Mom's. Like always, Mom's turkey was perfect and our bellies were full (over-full mostly). I elected to make a cake for last night's affair and I excitedly opted to make a Rainbow Cake.


Baking the cake was easy and fun. I used two white cake mixes, which I made one at a time and each became three layers of the cake. I absolutley love working with colour paste and over the next while I am going to find any excuse to use them. Colour is fun!

Prepare cake mix
Divide into three
Add colour (red, orange, yellow) and mix
Bake for about 22 minutes
And repeat!!

Add colour (green, blue, purple) and mix
And bake about 22 minutes
All the colours of the rainbow - baked!
The assembly of the cake was a little harder than baking, which I detailed in yesterday's post. I excitedly stacked the layers together (with a little parchment paper between them), and when I unstacked them, each layer ripped a giant hole in the layer beneath it. Whoops! Also, the more I handled the layers, the more fragile they became, with the green one actually breaking in three. If I try this cake again I know it will go a lot smoother, and I'm happy to say the cake turned out awesome regardless of the difficulty I faced.

While dealing with cracking and breaking cake layers, I forgot to take photos of how it was assembled. And while decorating, I was just hoping that it didn't collapse, so no photos of that either. Just imagine it being assembled with lots of wishing and hoping that it would work out.

To cover the cake and ice between the layers, I needed almost three full cans of vanilla frosting. I wouldn't claim that I have awesome icing skills, and icing a multi-layer, multi-colour cake with a tonne of icing is hard. The crumbs of each colour layer seemed to actively jump onto the icing knife so they could spread themselves happily throughout the white icing. Every attempt at correcting it seemed to make it 100 times worse. But not to worry! The solution is to distract the people with sprinkles. Sprinkles are my new cake decorating best friend.

Also, it is super fun to throw sprinkles at a cake!
Based on the complications, I wasn't really sure what it would look like inside. I'm so happy that it did not disappoint. This cake is definitely visually crowd pleasing. It tastes pretty great too.



Posted by Jen B On Monday, November 04, 2013 8 comments

8 comments:

  1. Happy Almost Birthday and WOW, great job. So bright and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the b-day wishes and the cake compliments. I really appreciate it! :) I just had a slice and this cake only makes big slices. Feeling very full at the moment (and happy).

      Delete
    2. lolololololol

      This cake only makes big slices.

      lololololol. Oh my gosh, I am laughing at that. So great.

      Delete
    3. Hahaha! Thanks! I'm laughing too!

      Delete
  2. I think I gained 10 pounds just looking at that yummy creation! You have way more patience than I do. Good job and Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks good and pretty great job :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am so happy how it turned out! :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy