Using a garden fresh zucchini from my sisters-in-law, I made a batch of brownies. I had never baked with zucchini before, but having two giant zucchinis gave me the inspiration to try.

Following a recipe found on allrecipes.com, I gave these zucchini brownies a shot.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups shredded zucchini

Method (in photos):

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, and vanilla until combined.


2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.


3. Mix the flour mixture with the sugar mixture. I used a whisk for this too and it worked really well as the mix was really dry.

4. Add the shredded zuchinni and mix to combine. It was hard to mix, so I ended up using my hands.


5. Spread mixture into prepared 13x9 pan. It was really sticky so I used a rubber spatula to spread it out to the edges.


6. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350°F. My brownies took 25 minutes. They are done when they spring back when touched.


Frost the brownies if desired. I only had enough cocoa powder for a thin layer of icing, but it ended up being the perfect amount.


These brownies were so good! I had one at room temperature and it was just okay, but once I had one out of the fridge...I ended up having three out of the fridge. They are really tasty cold! If I didn't know they were made with zucchini, I wouldn't be able to tell, which I think is kinda neat. I will definitely be making these again.


Posted by Jen B On Wednesday, August 06, 2014 11 comments

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! They were great. :)

      Delete
    2. How long before they were all gobbled up?

      Delete
    3. Took about 3 days. We still have an ass-load of zucchini here so I might make more for gaming this weekend.

      Delete
  2. three?! a girl after my own heart. dont ya just feel guilty when you pig out on something that you know aint good for ya? but hey, at least those brownies have zucchini in them so only a tinge of guilt, eh? they look delicious and i know they taste great. do ya have enough for 2morrow? LOL! enjoy!! cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I definitely go overboard and indulge - these were just too good! The key I find with having treats in the house is sharing them. I make sure there is only a limited amount for me to have so I don't REALLY overdo it. These brownies disappeared quickly! Cheers!

      Delete
    2. jen, ive tried that approach before and it doesnt work for me. but thanks for suggestion. hopefully one day it will work. cheers!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! They were great. I will make these again for sure.

      Delete
  4. I have always wanted to try these types of brownies! They look so good. And the recipe is so simple. Thanks for sharing this. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it! They were really easy and yummy. I will be making them again soon (we have LOTS of zucchini around this time of year).

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy