Summer BBQ's are great for catching up with friends and family, but they are even better for all the amazing food! We went to an over-the-top BBQ at Bryan and Betony's last weekend that went beyond typical hamburgers and hot dogs (though we ate those too). There were also crab legs, lobster, shrimp, corn bread, and some home cooked baked beans. All the food was delicious and I took my hamburger up a notch by topping it with baked beans. Yum! Betony shared the baked bean recipe, which turned out to be made with canned beans instead of dry. I had two cans of beans on hand so I made some up at home. They are easy and delicious (although they do take some time in the oven).

The recipe is Simple Baked Beans from allrecipes.com.

In a large bowl, mix together two cans baked beans,1/4 cup molasses, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tbs mustard, and 2 tbs ketchup. That's it.


Put mixture into well greased baking dish (I used an 8x8 disposable one). Cover and bake at 350°F for 3 hours.


The beans thicken up beautifully and have a really sweet and smoky flavour. They are also a bit sticky and little chewy which gives them a stick-to-your-ribs feel. I served them with a bacon and egg bagel for an epic breakfast-for-dinner. So good!


At some point I still want to try making these with dry beans, but this was a fun and easy first try at this yummy dish.
Posted by Jen B On Monday, August 25, 2014 7 comments

7 comments:

  1. can i come to your house for breakfast, lunch or dinner? LOL! that looks fabulous and i know they taste outtasight. i'm hungry. i must try this one for sure. so easy. great post. thanks for sharing jen. cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could all get together for a big pot luck! It would be so much fun. We all love such wonderful food. These were really easy to make and tasted great. Yum! Cheers!

      Delete
    2. I agree, that would be SOOOO FUNNN!

      Delete
  2. I have to admit, I've never been one for beans of any variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yummy! I love the ingredients in this recipe. Just from that I can tell how delicious it is! I will definitely give this a go. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I love how a good recipe can get passed around. Food can be so much fun.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy