On a recent visit to my Grandma's she gave me a giant bag of yarn. A life long knitter, she told me she hasn't been knitting much lately, and the one project she has on the needles (a blanket) has been on them for over a year. She says she eventually wants to complete the blanket, but after that, she doesn't think she will start many more projects.

Grandma kept her yarn stash is a storage closet and she let me know that some of it had been there "a long time." Because of this, the yarn smelled like a mixture between Grandma's perfume (a good smell), and storage (a kind of stale smell). Anything I knitted from the yarn could be laundered, but I was sure I would get a headache if I knitted with it.

So I did some research and decided to air the yarn out. It would have been a little easier to air them out in the summer (less cold, anyway!) but the air was super fresh and there was a good breeze blowing all through the yarn. I did fall on my ass at one point while I out there (I'm clumsy), but it was totally worth it, and the snow was pretty soft to land in. The yarn stayed outside for about four hours and they smell way better now.


Posted by Jen B On Monday, January 19, 2015 6 comments

6 comments:

  1. Fell on your arse. Lololol. Too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good solution!

    About your comment at my blog, I'll be posting about that ice storm for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just visited your blog - those images are beautiful and scary. It really was a destructive storm.

      Delete
  3. Yay, free yarn! I'm sorry you fell, but you got a lovely selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Grandma had a bunch of Mary Maxim yarn as she was going to make a sweater from them at one time or another and then never got around to it. I'm not interested in doing the pattern she bought the yarn for, but there are some nice colours I can do something fun with, I 'm sure.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy