Yesterday I told you about some fancy cheese my Mom surprised me with. When I have fancy cheese in the house, my first thought is always "oh, I wish I had a baguette". Cheese and bread is a favourite of mine, it's so simple and delicious. Being baguette-less and not wanting to drive to the store (or to spend the $1.50-$4.00 for a store bought one) I wondered if I could make my own. I found a recipe in my bread maker recipe book, made some dough, and ended up with two 15" baguettes. The cost of all the ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, yeast) was about $0.75, so a significant savings if I make them myself. They were also super easy to make, as most of the prep was just waiting for dough to rise.

Homemade Baguettes:
1. Make dough in the bread maker (1 hour, 15 minutes)
2. Turn dough into a greased bowl, and let rise for 30 minutes
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough with rolling pin until it is a big rectangle (this dough was incredibly easy to roll out)
4. Cut dough in half and roll each half up 'jelly roll style' and round out the ends
5. Let rise for 40 minutes, then cut some diagonal slashes in the top
6. Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes, turn down to 375°F and bake for an additional 8 minutes





The baguettes tasted great and were really easy to make. I'm so happy that I can make them at home and have a fresh baguette any time I need one.

Posted by Jen B On Tuesday, December 02, 2014 7 comments

7 comments:

  1. The best. Not to sound snotty but we won't buy bread out. Gotta be homemade or nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good way to be. Homemade bread is so inexpensive. I love that.

      Delete
    2. Have you played with different flours yet? That's great fun. As I write this I have a honey wholemeal on the first rest, in the kitchen. I'll sit there for a few hours, then I'll shape, prove, bake and eat.

      Such a fun thing.

      Delete
    3. I haven't tried with too many different flours. Once I made a rye bread that used rye flour and whole wheat flour. It was delicious.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks very much. They were fabulous. Going to make them all the time now! :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy