A few months ago Target opened some stores in Canada. The closest Target to us is in Orillia and it opened at the end of March. I had never been to a Target before, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I proposed a road trip with Mom and Grandma, and on a rainy day in April we made our way to the big city of Orillia, Ontario!

The three of us hadn't been to the Orillia Square Mall in probably 10 years. I worked in Orillia from 2000-2003, and only rarely did I go over there at lunchtime. They've made some renovations to the mall recently and we walked around before exploring Target.

First stop - lunch. The Food court was pretty limited but they had a Burger King so I treated Mom and Grandma to burgers. Surprise of the day, we were there on a Wednesday (also known as Whopper Day), so our meals were cheap and delicious. I love when I offer to buy lunch and get an unexpected deal. Everyone wins! We didn't know it at the time, but eating at Burger King was the highlight of our day.

Orillia, ON Target
Maple Leaf, Heart, Target Logo
Apparently the big draw for Canadians when cross border shopping at American Target is the amaze-a-deals. Unfortunately, these deals never made it to Canada. I'm not really a shopper in general, so it takes a lot to get me to part with my money, and Target did absolutely nothing for me. Mom and Grandma felt the same - they were both unimpressed with the store. Basically Target just has the same stuff you can get at Real Canadian Superstore or Walmart but at a slightly higher price. I can say some positive things about it: (1) it had a very clean bathroom and (2) there was a Starbucks right inside the store.

The point of heading to Orillia that day was to spend some fun social time with Mom and Grandma and I got to do just that. They are both backseat drivers but I didn't have to pull over to kick anyone out of the car, so that was good. Plus we learned that every Wednesday is Whopper Day, and I've been to my local BK six times since then to enjoy this tasty treat.

Have been to a Target Canada? What did you think?

Posted by Jen B On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10 comments

10 comments:

  1. Haven't been to a Target Canada, but I've been to a Target. Yeah, not impressed. I only go there when I've exhausted all other stores!

    But you got a nice trip with your Mom and Grandma that you'll probably remember for a good long time. I love those kinds of trips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a nice day to spend together - it didn't matter what we did. :)

      Delete
  2. Well, not being Canadian, I've only been to Targets in the US, but I totally <3 my target. Walmart is a hot mess - obnoxious people, terrible children, aisles so packed with stuff you can't fit through them and they're a terrible employer. So yeah...I stick with Target.

    Also, their biggest deals (here) is with their foods. Jars and cans of veggies are much cheaper than in a grocery store. Also, cleaning products are way cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the thing with the Canadian Target, they don't have the deals! So glad you are getting some good deals, though! :) If they had the deals here too, I would take another shot at it. I've read how some Canadians are still cross border shopping to American Target because the prices are way better there.

      Delete
  3. Target is out of my usual range but when I go, I just go for the coupon/sales - since I am allowed to stack a Target coupon and a manufacture. But on the whole, my first trip to Target was the same. I wasn't impressed with the prices. But I did like how clean and bright it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacking coupons sounds good. :)

      Being clean and bright is very welcoming, they just didn't have the deals I was looking for.

      Delete
    2. And that's it for me too.

      And I tell ya, at first, I felt the same way about Dollar General. Took me maybe one or two years to go back. But now, oh my gosh. Favorite new store.

      But I don't live close enough to Target to really get the good deals and know the store's cycle.

      Delete
    3. I went to the Dollar General website - looks like a lot of great deals! :)

      Delete
  4. My mom was so pumped for Target to open in Orillia that I actually remember having multiple conversations about it in the few weeks building up to the grand opening... in the end, it was only because of the Starbucks though.

    p.s. My mom actually sent me a cellphone pic of herself in the parking lot drinking a latte that day-- when did my mom get all modern and hip?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be pretty pumped about a Starbucks opening. We only have local coffee shops (which are lovely), but sometimes I have to drive to Barrie to get a Second Cup (Caramel Corretto) or a Starbucks.

      Also, hip moms are totally cool. That sounds like a great photo. My mom sometimes texts photos of stuff she buys or pics of her grandchildren. The future is amazing! :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy