I am pretty obsessed with cupcakes right now. Actually, I'm obsessed with icing cupcakes. Ever since I got my 1M star tip I've been happily making up any excuse to bake some cupcakes so I can pipe delicious icing onto them. Are we meeting friends later? Cupcakes. Is it Friday? Cupcakes. Have we gone a whole day without cupcakes? Cupcakes! I have made peanut butter buttercream twice now (I think it is my all time favourite icing ever). And this week for gaming night, I was eager to try a new icing recipe: Marshmallow Buttercream.

I'm new to buttercream and piping, so it wasn't until about a month ago that I had ever even heard of Marshmallow Buttercream. I saw a post on Annie's City Kitchen that included a recipe for Marshmallow Buttercream, and the idea blew my mind. Icing with Marshmallow taste? I had to try making it. 

I had a cherry chip cake mix on hand, so I decided to pair it with the Marshmallow Buttercream and the flavour combination turned out to be pretty stellar. Here are some actual quotes from friends at gaming night:

"Don't forget this recipe."
"He normally doesn't like icing, but he likes this icing!"
"It's so light!"

I made the cherry chip cupcakes as per package directions and set them aside to cool. The real event was the Marshmallow Buttercream, made using the recipe found at Annie's City Kitchen.

Cream 1/2 cup of room temperature butter.
Add 2 cups of icing sugar in 1/2 cup intervals until blended.
It's time to add the Marshmallow Creme!
Fold in 1 jar of marshmallow creme until blended. Look at that shine!
I added some pink food colouring to match my cherry chip cupcakes.
My new favourite thing is to pipe icing onto cupcakes. Such fun!
Marshmallow Buttercream cherry chip cupcake

Posted by Jen B On Sunday, April 28, 2013 8 comments

8 comments:

  1. You just made me hungry. If you lived next door, I'd be over there NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks! If you lived next door you would be more than welcome to come over to share some! These are definitely great for sharing! :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm... I hate butter, and I might even try this frosting. They look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though there is a marshmallow taste you can still taste the butter. Maybe add two jars of marshmallow creme if you make it!!

      Delete
  3. How fun is this? I've made homemade marsh before but never thought about using it as an icing. Neato stuff. Love the pink. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Whisk! I had so much fun! I have heard of people making their own marsh before...something I should try!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy