I was tasked with making dessert for my brother's birthday dinner and wanted to do something different. My usual fancy cake is just making a normal cake and decorating it with as many chocolate bars as possible. I still wanted to use chocolate bars, but decided to work them into some gourmet cupcakes. They were a little more work than just making a cake, but I have met some amazing baking bloggers recently and was inspired to try something new.

I did a quick Google search and found a tonne of recipes out there for Reese Peanut Butter Cupcakes. Many offered "from scratch" recipes for cake, but for better or worse I'm a cake mix kinda girl. I was able to confirm here that peanut butter cups can be baked right into a cupcake - an idea I just had to try!

Some key ingredients
I cut snack size peanut butter cups into four. Each cupcake got 3 pieces baked right in.
Simply place the peanut butter cup pieces into the batter and bake.
The cake bakes around the peanut butter pieces.
Once the cupcakes were baked and cooled, I made my first attempt at buttercream. Now that I have made it (and eaten an unhealthy amount of it) I completely understand what all the fuss is about. Simple truth: buttercream is amazing! It is probably because of the butter. I was raised in a margarine household but I am spreading my wings and hopping on the butter train. It is a tasty train.

For the frosting I used a recipe found at Allrecipes.

Cream butter and peanut butter together.
Add icing sugar by the half cup until blended in.
Giant bowl of peanut butter buttercream...Mmmmmmm....
And finally the main event: I decorated them using my new 1M star decorating tip. The internet claimed this was the perfect tip for decorating cupcakes and the internet did not lie. It was incredibly easy to use and decorate with and it made the icing look really pretty! I had a lot of fun icing them - and it was so fast and easy that I wished I had made twice as many cupcakes so I could have spent more time doing it. Loads of fun!

This is my 'decorating cupcakes' art shot.
Top with a peanut butter cup piece.
This is what they looked like cut in half.
The only complaint I had about these gourmet cupcakes is that the baked in peanut butter cup pieces sunk to the bottom of the cupcake and if the wrappers weren't carefully removed the chocolate pieces stuck to them. Not a big deal, just something I didn't expect.

Recipe Recap:

For the Cupcakes:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- Reese peanut butter cups (18 snack size, cut in 4)

Prepare cake mix as directed and divide equally into 24 muffin cups. Place 3 pieces of peanut butter cup gently into the batter. Bake as directed (about 20 minutes).

For the Peanut Butter Buttercream: (from Allrecipes)
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbs of milk (or as needed)

Cream butter and peanut butter together. Add icing sugar in half cup intervals until incorporated. Add milk by the tbs until desired consistancy is achieved.

For the Decorating:
- 1M star decorating tip (Wilton)
- Decorating bag
- Reese peanut butter cups (6 snack size, cut in 4)

Pipe buttercream onto the cupcakes. I watched this video to get the idea. Top with a piece of peanut butter cup. Enjoy!


Posted by Jen B On Sunday, April 14, 2013 24 comments

24 comments:

  1. Hey Jen - Thanks so much for the note you sent to my house. I LOVED IT! Was so great. And fun. Loved the stickers as well. Fantastic.

    And your blog looks amazing. Very clean and user-friendly.

    Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ivy! So glad you got the card! I'm really glad you liked it! :)

      Thank you so much for the kind words about the blog! Thanks for always stopping by here too! It is great! :)

      Hope you are having a great day!! :)

      Delete
  2. Yum!! Your cupcakes look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were soooo good! Thanks for stopping by the blog and for your comment! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was the best part. I had leftovers that I put in the fridge and then ate some of them with just a spoon!! It was too good.

      Delete
  4. These look amazing. I will have to give them a try very soon. :) Thanks for the recipe Jen. :)
    Sara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun to make! And the icing is really over the top good! :)

      Thanks for stopping by the blog and for following! Nice to meet you! :)

      Delete
  5. these look so delcious!
    brittany from oh my darlin & i

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! They were great! Thanks for stopping by the blog! :)

      Delete
  6. What a good sister! I wish I could have one! :)

    Thanks for joining our Show Off Your Blog Party. I'm one of the co-host.

    Jules
    A Dose of Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks! I will have to remind my brother what a good sister I am! LOL! Thanks for co-hosting the blog party and for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  7. That looks good and yes you are a good sister!! Who would've thought Reeses' peanut butter cupcakes? Thanks a bunch for sharing this @ The Show Off Blog Party :)

    Jessica
    The Wondering Brain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for hosting the blog party! Also happy that you stopped by the blog and followed! Much appreciated! :)

      Delete
  8. OMG, kill me now. Those look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks! I just made some more of these...it is my new favourite recipe! :)

      Delete
  9. Hmmmm... I'm thinking that by "just" placing the cut up pieces on top of the batter after maybe baking 5 - 10 mins might stop them going all the way to the bottom? Gonna have to experiment and make up a batch or two. ; ) Thanks for the recipe- MUST try. BB2U P.S. Here from the Showoff Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea! Next time I make them I will give it a try. Thanks for stopping by the blog and for commenting! :)

      Delete
  10. These are really great looking and yummy sounding. Reese are my favorite candy! Thanks for stopping by my blog and linking up with all of my social media! I am now following you!

    I hope you will come back tonight at 7:00 p.m. EST and link this and any other recipes to my In and Out of the Kitchen Link party! See you there!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Reese too! Peanut butter and chocolate are just perfect together! :) Thank you so much for following my blog and for commenting.

      Also, thanks for letting me know about the Link Party! :)

      Delete
  11. what a fantastic blog - i have read some and will be coming back to read more :0)
    thank you for joining my blog - glad to have you aboard - michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely comment! That is very nice. :) Thank you for stopping by the blog and for following as well. I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy