I'm at my Mom's this week, and the awesome thing about Mom and Dad's apartment is that it is directly upstairs from my Grandparents apartment.  Lots of family fun in this building, that is for sure!

Grandma is knitting herself a sweater right now with a pattern she has from the '80s.  There is an amazing photo in the pattern booklet that is just too amazing not to share.

Taken from Patons All in the Family pattern booklet (#609) from 1988, this photo has it all.  The sweater design and colours, the leather skirt, the giant belt(!!), and especially the wicked walkman with those rocking headphones! (Note: this is definitely not the sweater Grandma is working on).

Being around Grandma when she's knitting is great because I'm always able to pick up something new from her.  Spending time with her yesterday, Grandma showed me how to test a pattern's gauge. Ensuring a proper gauge isn't something I've ever done before; partly because I knit simple patterns, and partly because I never learned how! I didn't realize that testing gauge was something you did before you started your project, I thought you incorporated into your project somehow. And because I haven't knit something where gauge really mattered, I never bothered to learn more about it.  But thanks to Grandma, now I know all about knitting a swatch before starting a project. Thanks, Grandma!  I also found an instructional video from Red Heart Yarn (featured below) in case you want to learn more about testing gauge too (I actually have the tool featured in the video, I've just never used it!)



Posted by Jen B On Wednesday, February 02, 2011 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy