I'm knitting a toy fish from my Knitted Toy Tales pattern book, and last week I showed you the intarsia colourwork I did for the tail fin. The body of the fish uses the Fair Isle technique, which I was excited to try as well.

My grandma recently gave me some yarn bobbins, and because this pattern only needed a small amount of yarn, I decided to use them for this project.


This was my first try at knitting a pattern with fair isle and it was really quite simple to do. In this technique, the different colours of yarn are carried across the back of your work, even when you aren't knitting with them. For this pattern, I used green and pink yarn to make the fair isle pattern.


Because the yarn is being carried, strands of colour are created at the back of the work. I Googled what the back side of fair isle is supposed to look like, and I think I nailed it.


Working on this toy has been perfect for learning some new knitting skills. Getting acquainted with intarsia and fair isle colourwork has been both challenging and fun. There are lots of possibilities for colourful projects in my future.


My little fish toy is almost complete. Next week I'll show you him all put together!


Posted by Jen B On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6 comments

6 comments:

  1. Both the front and back look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying so! I really appreciate it. I am having so much fun with this knitting pattern book. Trying lots of new things.

      Delete
  2. That is something I simply would not be capable of doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! It is good to know your limits, I guess. :)

      Delete
  3. Good job lady! That looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lady! I had a lot of fun with it. Love making new things!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy