We started adding dried chives to our meals earlier this year, enhancing mac n' cheese, dressing up baked potatoes, and seasoning many other dishes. We realized we loved them in anything and everything and added them to our weekly grocery list.

We bought the store brand bag of chives, which were only $0.79 per bag and so easy to just throw into the cart. We'd pick up two or three bags at a time, as it seemed like a good deal.


I was at Bulk Barn a few weeks ago and decided to see how much bulk chives cost. They were $5.29 for 100g, which I initially thought was expensive because I'd been getting a whole bag of them for only $0.79. When I got home, I was surprised to realize that the bags I'd been buying were only 5.5g. Which meant that 100g of those chives actually worked out to $14.36! I'm so happy I looked into it, because it turns out I've been overspending on chives.

So I went back to the Bulk Barn and picked up 100g (...I got exactly 100g too, because my bulk measuring skills are awesome, apparently).


My giant bag of chives is equivalent to 18 bags of the ones I used to get. So we currently have ALL the chives and can now have as many fancy baked potatoes as we want.


Posted by Jen B On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10 comments

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love it there. Such fun things to see and try. I also love the "spend $10, save $3" coupon that comes out sometimes. It's easy for me to spend $10!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I love a yummy deal. My Mom says this post inspired her to want to get some chives. But not as big of a bag as I got. :)

      Delete
  3. Great idea! Bulk Barn is fantastic for things like this! We have a couple here, and one of them is very close to our home. I like picking up certain items from there, especially things like tea, spices, baking ingredients, etc. It's a fun place to look around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I love looking around to see what they have. I get so much baking stuff there - they have a lot of specialty items. Our favourite spice from there is the Montreal Steak Spice. We put it in everything! :)

      Delete
  4. Good lesson. Always compare the unit price! :) That is... a lot of chives.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy