That's right, this is another post about pumpkin spice. I am completely obsessed with it, and am actually drinking a homemade pumpkin spice latte as I write this. I have been adding it to everything lately and I don't think I will get sick of it. I love, love, love it! :)

My new obsession comes from my previous ignorance. I understood that pumpkin spice must have existed but I didn't really understand that I could buy it or make it and then eat it every day. Now I have a daily habit of Googling what else I can make with it, and I think this will be the year I make my first pumpkin pie. Pretty excited about that. 

Last week I happily learned that pumpkin pie spice is a beautiful combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. You can throw the spices together yourself or buy pre-mixed. I got 'Pumpkin Spice' from the Bulk Barn and it is fabulous.

Since we added it to our spice rack last Thursday, we've been going crazy with it. I made awesome cupcakes. We've been adding 1/2 tsp to coffee grounds in our perk coffee maker to make a really easy pumpkin spice coffee. We also add 1/4 tsp to a mug of Orange Pekoe, for a flavourful tea. My Twitter buddy Kathy let me know she uses it on oatmeal, and I had to try that too. I added some dried cranberries as well and have had a very festive breakfast the past two days.

Steel cut oats with pumpkin spice and dried cranberries
We've also been making easy lattes. The same way you probably shouldn't call chicken bacon bacon, I proabably shouldn't call my drink a latte, but it has the same idea. I don't use espresso or steamed milk, but it tastes awesome anyway.

For my latte I add 2 tbs pumpkin puree, 1 tbs brown sugar, 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp instant decaf coffee (I only have coffee in the morning...except when I have it at night - so we keep instant decaf on hand). 

Next I add 1/3 mug of milk and stir.


Then fill it up with boiling water to activate the instant coffee. (Normally I think instant coffee is gross but in a fun drink like this, I like it just fine.)


We forgot to pick up whipped cream, but it is actually quite lovely without it.

What is your favourite thing to do with pumpkin pie spice? Do you make your own or buy a pre-mixed version?

Posted by Jen B On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9 comments

9 comments:

  1. I too and groovin' on the pumpkin spice. Homemade. Love it. Just used a $2 coupon on allspice yesterday. I can't see paying for pumpkin lattes when they are so flipping easy to make.

    I make my own mix. I also use ginger juice that I make at home. So good. But in a pinch, I'll use powered.

    Before scoring the allspice I was making a cinnamon, honey, vanilla, ginger drink. Oh my gosh. If my juicer only made ginger juice, it would still be worth the money.

    LOVIN' the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true, I'll never buy a $5 drink again now that I know how to make one. Plus I know what's in it, so that is a plus too.

      I just watched a video of someone making ginger juice - I bet it has a lot of flavour. You have to do it by hand, I guess. I've boiled ginger before and had it as tea, perfect amount of spicy.

      Your drink sounds good too. Love honey in a drink.

      Delete
    2. I use Lucy, my juicer to do it. I drink ginger nearly each day. Love the stuff. Even in the morning with some lime and ginger, a little honey. Or if I have pineapple left. Good stuff.

      I also did one with half tea half almond milk.

      But yeah, no more buying these drinks. Though I did just buy one at Barnes over the weekend and another at Wegmans, but that was that. I said no way, four or five of these and I can have another pair of jeans.

      Delete
    3. Oh I'm glad your juicer can do it! Looked time consuming by hand.

      When you think of the cost of those drinks in terms of potential new pants, it doesn't seem worth it. But they do taste amazing. We have Second Cup here in Canada and they do the whipped cream part right. :)

      Delete
    4. The taste, oh yeah, so much better. And the combos are many, I like that part too.

      Delete
  2. Guess what I have waiting to go home with me tonight? Cake mix and a can of pumpkin. Thanks for the shout out. By the way I have a recipe for spice ornaments if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome! I hope they turn out great! :)

      I didn't know about spice ornaments but just googled it. They sound awesome! Would love your recipe.

      Delete
  3. Sorry it took so long, but had to remember where the recipe was. This recipe calls for cinnamon but you could substitute the Pumpkin spice.
    5 oz Cinnamon or Pumpkin spice
    10 Tbsp warmed Apple sauce

    Mix spice and apple sauce together until it forms a dough adding more spice if needed.
    Knead the dough and turn onto a spice dusted surface.
    Roll out to 1/4" to 3/8" thick, and cut with cookie cutters.
    Poke a hole in the top for hanging.
    Place on wire rack to air dry (Approx 6 days)
    You can decorate further with craft paints or just leave natural. Just don't seal them with anything or you won't get the nice smellies.
    They make great gifts.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks so much for this. I will definitely have to give it a try. Good time of year to do it too. Just have to re-stock my pumpkin spice supply (we went a little crazy with it over the past few weeks!).

      Thanks again!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy