We've added good old mac and cheese to our meal plan rotation. I wasn't in the habit of making it regularly because I thought cheese and milk were expensive. I have recently figured out that milk is cheaper than I think, and if there is a good cheese deal ($4 or less for 500g), a big pan of mac and cheese is only around $4.50. Pretty cheap considering the meal lasts two days and feeds two adults. It's also enough for late night snacks too. Mac and Cheese is also a great make ahead meal, either to freeze, or to make the day before if we know we won't have time to cook. I follow my Mom's recipe, which I've been eating for over 30 years now and still love.

Mom's Mac and Cheese (for 9x13 pan)

Ingredients:
4 cups dry macaroni
1/2 cup + 2tbs flour
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup + 2tbs margarine
3 cups milk
3 cups grated old cheddar cheese (about half a 500g brick)

Method:
Boil macaroni until desired tenderness. Drain and set aside.

In saucepan, melt margarine with flour (mixed w/ salt and pepper) over medium heat. 

Stir in milk. Stir constantly with whisk until thickened. Now, here is the deal with making the sauce: it takes about 7 minutes of constant whisking. I have no problem with the stirring, but my brain likes to chime in and convince me around the 6 minute mark that the sauce isn't going to thicken. Even though it does every time. My mom says she does this too. But don't worry if it happens to you. Your sauce will work out!

Once thickened, remove from heat and add grated cheese and stir until melted. 

Mix macaroni with cheese sauce until completely covered.

Pour into a 9x13 pan and spread out evenly.

Sprinkle with bread crumbs, butter, and spices to taste. I use Bulk Barn bread crumbs, but when mom makes this, she uses bread crumbs from actual bread. That she made herself. I was lucky growing up, eh? My store bought bread crumbs do the job, but mom's mac in cheese is just fantastic.

Bake in oven for 30 minutes at 350°F. And enjoy! Sometimes when I get it on my plate I smother it with Franks Red Hot. Pretty tasty.

Posted by Jen B On Sunday, September 15, 2013 17 comments

17 comments:

  1. Looks real similar to the mac & cheese I used to make (I think my recipe is from Betty Crocker, though). I love homemade mac & cheese. Probably too much!

    Hmmm... now I'm thinking I might want to make that next weekend. Heck, why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! I love mac and cheese too and love ones that are made with a cheese sauce. So good. Enjoy yours! :)

      Delete
  2. I love my mom's mac and cheese as well. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I made a cheesey orzo over the weekend.

      Delete
    2. Sounds good! I love anything that is cheesy (even movies!).

      Delete
    3. Ha! We love cheesey movies as well.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the 28 Day Reboot. I don't see a post about it but wanted to say, holy cow, did that go fast or what? My goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the congrats! 4 weeks down and 4 more weeks scheduled. It did go really fast! So fast, I only just got my post about it done. It's up now. Are you going for 28 more days?

      Thanks again for your ongoing support! You rock! :)

      Delete
    2. You rock as well.

      I am set to continue moving forward. Having bunches of fun along the way, as well. It's pretty cool stuff.

      Delete
    3. What I find now is that after the first 28 days, it's just become normal life again. I realized this, the first day of my second round. Things just keep moving forward.

      That being said, I like to get to end of four weeks and look at how far things have come. Or perhaps, not come. As I'm still not strong enough for daily walking. I also use weeks as a cage, like I do with my Chubba Bubba Reports.

      It's rather fun having a blog.

      Delete
    4. It is rather fun having a blog. :) I really love your outlook on the 28 day reboot. I feel the same. I like having the goal because it keeps in my mind I'm still working towards something, but I kind of just walk every day now. It's just normal now. I like that.

      Delete
    5. It will be interesting to me to see how you feel going into it a second time. I found the my second reboot wasn't challenging, as I'd already made things into a lifestyle change. Only it wasn't until I started the second 28 days, that I realized it wasn't a challenge anymore. If that makes sense.

      Hey, we just got back from Tim Horton's where they serve ice cream. They have a small cafe open 24/7. Tim wrote and I put coupons in my binder. Fun stuff.

      We shared a small Cookie Doughya Want Some. But the apple pie one is real good too. YUM. Waiting for them to have a pumpkin one.

      Delete
    6. Well so far into the second time I have been eager to go for a walk. I think starting "new" is a big motivator for me (maybe I'm easily fooled by psychological tricks). I think it took me the first four weeks to figure out how best to get moving, and now I know those things and am able to do it more easily. I'm sure there are still more tricks I will learn over the next while too, but I seemed to have gravitated towards ones that really get me going (and I had no idea it would be listening to books on tape). I will let you know how it goes!! :)

      Delete
    7. Also, I hope they get a pumpkin pie one! Yummy!! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm going to have to make this one. And it the kids don't like it, more for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This stuff is great! And if they don't like it, just put whatever condiment they do like on it. I love this stuff. I also love that it lasts a few days. Re-heating is a favourite of mine.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy