I made my first pumpkin pie over the weekend. I also made my second. Here are two things I wish I didn't know about making pumpkin pie:
                   (1) it is stupidly easy. By the time the oven heats up, the pie is ready to go in. 
                   (2) 1 can of pumpkin puree makes two pies
Now that I know these things, John thinks I should make a pumpkin pie every week.

In my pumpkin pie making adventure, I noticed that recipes either called for sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk. I had enough puree to make two pies, so I thought I would try both methods to see which I liked better. Here are my results (note: this was in no way a scientific study. It was mostly just an excuse to eat/make pie.)


Pumpkin Pie (recipe slightly adapted from Eagle Brand)

Ingredients:
1 + 3/4 cups pumpkin puree
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 large eggs
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 9-inch unbaked pie crust

Whisk ingredients (except pie crust) in bowl until smooth. Pour into pie crust. Bake in 425°F oven for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 350°F and continue baking for 35-40 minutes.
Before baking
After Baking
Mmmmm....Pie
Pumpkin Pie (recipe slightly adapted from E.D. Smith)

Ingredients:
1 + 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup evaporated milk
2 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1 9 inch unbaked deep dish pie crust

Beat eggs lightly in medium bowl. Add pumpkin, sugar, spices, and salt; stir until combined. Blend in milk. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425°F for 15 min. Lower oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking 30-35 minutes.
Before Baking
After Baking
Pie!
In this unscientific, not double blind, test study, I decided that they both tasted the same, looked the same, and cooked pretty much the same. I have a 'really like pumpkin pie spice' bias, so the recipe didn't really matter to me. The end result was they both tasted like pumpkin pie and that was what I was going for. I do prefer the sweetened condensed milk version, but only because it has less ingredients and I'm more likely to have sweetened condensed milk on hand. Also when I made the evaporated milk version, the filling dripped over the side of the pie crust. That was when I noticed that the recipe called for a deep dish pie crust. Whoops.

Have you made a pumpkin pie? Any preference on recipe?


Posted by Jen B On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6 comments

6 comments:

  1. Go you. Woohoo.

    I like condensed milk for mine. Fun to read your post. This is what I love about baking, play about and taking notes.

    So much bloody fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a lot of fun... and the results were delicious! :)

      Delete
  2. No one in my family likes pumpkin pie, except my dad, which means that we don't usually get it. One year for his birthday, I made him six mini ones (everything from scratch!) so that he could freeze them and bring them out when there was a family party or something and have pie that he liked. They looked good, and they smelled right, and he said they tasted good so I'll believe him. I don't remember the recipe I used, but I think it was from the Fanny Farmer cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a lovely daughter to make six make ahead pies. It must be lonely being the lone pumpkin pie eater. That is my mom with squash at big dinners. She makes it and no one gives it a second look but she likes it. :)

      Delete
  3. I use my dad's recipe which uses BOTH sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. I'm also a nerd and bake an actual pie pumpkin instead of using the canned stuff. . . and this post reminds me that I have pumpkin in the freezer . . . mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat, Tasha! One of my goals this season is to make my own pumpkin puree. I found some recipes for it online, but if I need any insight I will ask you! Glad to know someone who has done it before. Hope you bake something delicious with it!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy