I love pumpkin spice time of year. It fills me with joy to know that at some point in the fall I will purchase a pumpkin spice latte and/or a pumpkin spice baked good. John and I got to thinking the other night: 'what would it take to make these at home?' A quick Google search brought me to countless pumpkin spice baking recipes, coffee/latte recipes, and even recipes to make pumpkin spice itself. We went to Bulk Barn and bought a bag of pumpkin spice and I've had loads of fun adding it to everything over the past few days. So these pumpkin spice cupcakes had to happen.

I like easy when it comes to baking, and these cupcakes were just that. The following recipe was adapted from here.

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes

Ingredients:
Cake mix (white, vanilla, yellow, spice...whatever you have on hand)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup water
3 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Beat all ingredients in bowl for 30 sec until blended. Beat on high for two minutes. That is it.

Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F. Note that your house will smell amazing when they come out of the oven.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Icing
(the following recipe was adapted from recipes found here and here).

Ingredients: 
250g (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I might suggest using only 1/4 cup)
1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice, or to taste
4 cups icing sugar

Beat cream cheese and butter together until fluffy.

Mix in pumpkin puree. The icing ended up being thinner than I've made in the past, so I would only add 1/4 cup pumpkin puree next time.

Beat in pumpkin pie spice followed by icing sugar, adding it 1 cup at a time until smooth.

I piped the icing onto the cupcakes, and even though it was thin, it stayed where it was supposed to be.

These cupcakes have all been shared and eaten, but I can't wait to make them again. They were easy and delicious!

Posted by Jen B On Sunday, September 08, 2013 11 comments

11 comments:

  1. Mmmmm!!! These look AMAZING!! Good icing job, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These were sooooo good. Already thinking about making them again. :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmmm Pumpkin Pie Spice *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really are fall babies, aren't we. I've been making pumpkin lattes at home. Just got allspice yesterday to complete the spices. So so so so so so so good. Then today when I was at the store waiting online, I was thinking that I'll take my pumpkin latte and make them into muffins.

    I love fall. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totlly a fall baby! I love this time of year! It is just perfect in so many ways - sights, smells, tastes, memories, feelings... I love it.

      I agree that it is so so so so so so so good! How do you make your latte? I've been making them too - just quick and easy but full of flavour. I just posted another blog about the fun I'm having with the spice, that is how into it I am! :)

      Delete
    2. I did one post about my cinnamon, vanilla, honey, ginger drink, but haven't posted the pumpkin spice one yet.

      Yesterday's was almond milk, raw honey, homemade ginger juice, organic cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Then I added a wee bit of organic sugar, not much, just a dash.

      No whip for me.

      Delete
    3. No whip is just fine. I'm loving these drinks.

      Delete
    4. By the end of fall you and I will have a buttload of latte formulas, for sure.

      Talked to my mom today and she is drinking a new creamer, vanilla and brown sugar. I said whoa, I gotta make that at home.

      Do you also like to buy and use new mugs?

      Delete
    5. I love mugs - I tend to buy them based on how they feel in my hand. I love a good solid mug. But I do want to follow your lead and find a Halloween one. I don't have a single one.

      Delete
    6. That's how I buy them as well. So fun.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy