I had planned on making peanut butter fudge for gaming night tonight, but the recipe called for Reese Peanut Butter Cups (16 of them!) and the econmy pack I usually buy was all sold out. Instead of buying the higher priced Reese Cups, I decided to put the fudge recipe on hold and look to the internet for suggestions of something else to make.

I had some Oreos on hand, so I asked the internet what to make with them. I don't usually go to Pinterest, but my Google search led me to a Pinterest page filled with photos of Oreo Cookie recipes. So I began surfing and clicking and ended up at The Picky Palate, finding a recipe for "Gooey Cookies and Cream Double Chocolate Cake Bars". Sounded good to me.

The recipe called for a devil's food cake mix, which I didn't have on hand, but decided to use the sprinkle cake mix I did have as a substitute.

The recipe and photos over at the The Picky Palate are great, so if you are thinking about making these, head over there for the original instructions. These are layered bars, and the layers are super easy to prepare.

Bottom Layer: Cake mix, mixed with 1/2 cup butter and 1 egg, 
spread evenly in a 9x13 pan.

Layer Two: Broken up Oreo Cookies (I used 20 cookies).

Layer Three: A can of sweetened condensed milk.

Top Layer: Chocolate chips!

It bakes on 350 for about 30 minutes and comes out of the oven looking like this
 (I think it looks like a dessert pizza!):

These bars are really sweet and really gooey as their name suggests. The sprinkle cake worked, but they probably would have been better made with the devils food cake. This version is still pretty good, but these bars are really super sweet. I could only eat one!

Posted by Jen B On Sunday, May 05, 2013 10 comments

10 comments:

  1. Recipes like this one are the reason I limit bringing sweetened condensed milk into the house.
    Otherwise, I would eat stuff like this *all*the*time*!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe I had never used it before today? The bars were really good, and the sweetened condensed milk adds a certain awesomeness to the flavour. They taste like bars I've had at family events over the years, now I know the secret ingredient! I think it will be safer if I limit SCM in my house too! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like the kind of dessert that requires lots and lots of milk!

    I love Oreos, but I don't think I could handle all that suger. Not sure if I'd like it with devil's food cake, either. Sometimes too much chocolate is just too much (and yes, this is coming from a WRITER). But gosh, they sure LOOK good! I bet your place smelled pretty wonderful while it was baking, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did smell pretty great around here! These treats did taste really good, but I don't think I would make them again. I'm not normally one to say so, but I think they had too much sugar. I didn't know such a thing was possible but I think it was the sweetened condensed milk. I'd never used it before and it isn't lying when it calls itself sweet! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh ... holy cow, that does look good. I have coupons for condensed milk and was going to pick up a few cans to put in my bake boxes. There was something else I had in mind, but for the life of me, I cannot remember.

    But this does look good. Num, num, num.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is too good. Trying not to eat too much of it today! Coupons for condensed milk are a good idea. It can be expensive! Happy baking! And thanks for commenting on the older post. I replied back over there, but wanted to let you know I appreciate it here too, in case it isn't easily found again. :)

      Delete
    2. After I wrote that comment and hit publish, I lost the page. Usually for old ones like that I'll subscribe by email and this time, darn, I forgot.

      Delete
    3. No worries! Thanks for the belated birthday wishes!! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! I need to make these, I have very unhealthy relationship with the oreo cookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized recently that I love them! So good! And so many dessert recipes call for them. :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy