Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving in October, so it's been almost two long months since I had a home made turkey dinner. I hadn't made one of my own in over a year and I was itching to roast one and take advantage of having a fridge full of leftovers. It didn't help that the U.S. celebrated their Thanksgiving a few weeks ago, and the news feeds on my Blogger, Twitter, and Happier were filled with countless photos of delicious turkey dinners with all the fixings. It was only a matter of time before I cooked one, and I knew there was no way I could wait for Christmas.

Luckily I had two turkeys in my freezer, so I made one earlier this week and had my sisters-in-law over. It was a good meal with great company and I even made pumpkin pie for dessert. Last night we enjoyed leftovers for supper and this morning I boiled up the turkey bones for some stock.

We used part of the stock tonight to make some home style turkey soup. Making a big pot of soup is one of my favourite ways to eat turkey leftovers. Plus the house smells amazing while the stock is boiling.

I also packed away 10 cups of turkey stock for the freezer. Sometime down the road we'll make some fresh soup and/or add it to other dishes for flavour.


Every time I make a turkey I remark at how far the meal goes. There really is so much joy that comes from one awesome bird.

Posted by Jen B On Thursday, December 12, 2013 6 comments

6 comments:

  1. That soup looks delicious! My grandpa always used to make Turkey stew after Christmas, and there was always far too much for them to eat themselves, so the downstairs neighbours (mostly me) got lucky. :) I may just have to see about making some myself this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super easy and makes the house smell amazing and it lasts for days. Next soup I make I'm gonna to thicken into a stew - that sounds delicious!

      Delete
  2. Woohoo. Last week I did the same with chicken bones. No wait, that was just this week. Yikes, all the days and weeks are starting to run together. But I don't care, my house is clean and it's homemade calzone night.

    Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh homemade calzone night!!! I need to make one of those soon. :)

      Delete
    2. Change of plans, we still had baked goods but doing calzone tomorrow. We both got home late so we went with leftover frozen homemade pizza, and then I used the calzone dough to make a few braids, pepperoni rolls, and a weave loaf.

      Just finishing up the pizza sauce, it's resting in the snow. So calzones for Saturday night. Woohoo.

      How was your day?

      Delete
    3. Days have been busy but good. :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy