You know all those people who go to the mall and curse the Christmas music blaring from every store sound system? I am not one of those people.  I love Christmas music.  I hate being at the mall in December, but it is not because of the music.  The music I like.

This year I am filling the house with Christmas cheer via internet radio.  John let me know about something called SHOUTcast, and it has an entire page of Christmas radio stations.  The one that I keep returning to is called Christmas Melody.  It is a crazy mix of songs that will transition from Elvis to NSync to The Andrews Sisters to Pavarotti to John Denver. It also includes comedy songs and original classics - it is fabulous and I have been playing it non-stop.

Listening to Christmas songs all day makes me think about favourites.  Jingle Bells is pretty classic - it is catchy, fun to sing, and is full of memories of elementary school sing-a-longs.  What's not to like?  There are so many fun songs - Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Frosty the Snowman, Holly Jolly Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Jingle Bell Rock - it is hard to choose the best, as there are so many that I like.  The following is a list of a few tracks I absolutely must hear over Christmas and some that I try to avoid altogether.

My Christmas Favourites:
Rocking Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - The Pretenders
Baby it's Cold Outside - I like the Tom Jones + Cerys Matthews version, but any will do.
Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney
Christmas Time is Here Again - The Beatles

My Least Favourite Christmas Songs:
12 Days of Christmas - Bob and Doug McKenzie -- The beer in a tree thing drives me nuts!
The Christmas Shoes - NewSong -- The worst of the worst.  Completely gag-worthy.
River - Joni Mitchell -- I actually love this song but I find it way too depressing for Christmas.

What are your favourite Christmas songs?  Which ones drive you crazy?


Posted by Jen B On Saturday, December 11, 2010 6 comments

6 comments:

  1. Oh god - I HATE the Christmas shoes!! Manipulative garbage. Did you know that there's a movie? Starring Rob Lowe!! There's even a sequel (The Christmas Blessing) and NEIL PATRICK HARRIS is in it! I'm sorry about all the caps and exclamation marks, but that song could drive me to murder, I'm quite sure, and I could NOT believe that NPH would associate himself with such dreck. I love him a teeny tiny bit less :(

    Must hear Jingle Bell Rock and Rocking Around the Christmas tree, mostly because my girls love them, and you haven't truly enjoyed Christmas til you've seen a toddler jump up and start wiggling her bum to Jingle Bell Rock. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope both Rob Lowe and NPH got a pile of money for those movies... They sound awful!

    Toddlers dancing is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Santa Baby is the bane of my existence. I can't stand the cutesy wootsy...it makes my blood boil.

    On a lighter note, hearing Baby, It's Cold Outside makes me feel warm and happy on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - Baby, It's Cold Outside makes me feel warm and happy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I hear Paul McCartney's 'Wonderful Christmastime', I think of you. Remember in 4th year when I was obsessed with finding a christmas song for my residence voicemail? You gave me that song to use and it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah- Synthesizers for the win! Is there anything Paul McCartney can't do?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy