Cinnamon Sticky Buns: a time intensive but oh so satisfying treat that I love to bake. My new rule when making them is that they must be taken to an event of some kind, as having 20+ sticky buns in my house is very dangerous.

I would like this and seven more please.
I use my bread maker to make the cinnamon bun dough, using a recipe taken from the book that came with my late '80s machine. I adapted the original recipe to enhance yumminess (sugar, butter, and cinnamon need not be restricted by measurements!). My bread maker has passed through three generations in my family, from my dad's mother, to my mother, and now to me. Sometimes we talk about getting a new one, but honestly, this one still works great!

Late '80s bread maker - still working hard!
Cinnamon Bun Dough (adapted from Sanyo's The Home Bakery Book, 1988):

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
   1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
   1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
   2 eggs
   1 cup lukewarm water
   1 package active dry yeast

Add ingredients to bread maker and let stand 5 minutes. Use Dough setting and press start. This takes 1 hour and 15 minutes on my machine. When dough is finished, remove dough from bread maker and place in a greased bowl, turning to coat evenly. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.

Punch down dough and divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each half into a large rectangle.


Spread melted butter or margarine over entire rectangle so that it is completely covered. I don't measure, I just keep covering it until it looks adequately drenched. Next sprinkle with enough brown sugar to completely cover. I spread it out with my hands to make sure it is even. Finally, sprinkle with cinnamon.


Roll up the dough lengthwise.


Cut into buns. Put buns onto baking sheet, cover, and let rise for 1 hour. I normally get around 10 buns per rolled up rectangle (about 20 buns total).


Now for the "Sticky" part.

Heat 1/2 cup of butter or margarine, 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, and 1/2 cup corn syrup in a small saucepan. Heat until combined. Pour mixture into baking pan (I use multiple 9x13 glass baking dishes). Place risen cinnamon rolls into the sugar mixture.  Bake in 350 oven for 20 minutes.


When rolls have finished baking, spoon sticky sugar mixture from bottom of the pan onto the rolls so they are sticky all over. This makes them extra delicious.

Enjoy!


Posted by Jen B On Sunday, March 24, 2013 8 comments

8 comments:

  1. Hi! I came to visit from the Cuddlebug Cuties Sunday Linky party. These luscious sticky buns sure caught my attention (I not SUPPOSED to have sugar but THOSE would be worth cheating for) and my oldest daughter would go nuts over them - she turns 16 in a few short weeks...I might have to splurge and make a batch (which she would love MORE than a cake possibly)
    Carolyn@ iamthecraftylady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for stopping by the blog. It was my first time doing a "Linky party" - they are so neat! It is really nice to meet people and see all the amazing projects people are working on.

      The sticky buns definitely have a lot of sugar - I really don't make them that often because they are too good! I always eat a crazy amount of them. Whatever you decide to make, I hope your daughter has a great birthday! :)

      Delete
  2. I love making these. So yummy. Yours look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! They are fun to make, aren't they?

      Delete
  3. I can never eat just one! I'd probably eat three of these (at least...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always tell myself having 5 is totally reasonable! :) Thanks for stopping by the blog!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, these look delicious!! I need to pull out my bread machine! YUM. Newest follower from Cuddlebug Cuties. Can't wait to read more. :)

    Kathy
    www.lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for stopping by the blog and for the comment. Nice to meet you!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy