This weekend, I spent more time than I would like to admit surfing through free online knitting patterns.  I love what can be created though knitting, and even though I only have basic skills, I love clicking on the photos of finished projects and looking at them dreamily, with the thought that "one day I could tackle you".  I am still learning, but that doesn't mean I should be intimidated by abbreviations I don't know or techniques/tools I have never used before (I'm looking at you circular needles!).  Even though I still consider myself a beginner, with each new technique I learn, the more capable I become to tackle complex patterns (I'm looking at you fancy design charts!).

I am a little intimidated to take on big projects when I am learning something new.  I like to have some sort of grasp of what I am doing before I commit to a giant project, so I'm not just free-wheeling it and hoping it works out properly.  Knitting is a fun process in itself, so it wouldn't be a complete let down if I worked on something and it didn't turn out, but I do enjoy the satisfaction of having something awesome to show for my efforts. 

Yesterday I learned how to make a cable.  It was way easier than I thought it would be, and I watched this amazing video on YouTube that showed me exactly how to do it.  I absolutely love YouTube for it's massive amount of 'How to Knit' videos.  I am a highly visual learner, so being able to watch someone knit is incredibly helpful.  Free knitting teacher in my house at the click of a button?  Yes, please! Big thanks to everyone who records themselves knitting and posts it on the internet!  You really are teaching me to knit!

The small project I tackled to learn cabling was a coffee cup sleeve.  I have made coffee cups sleeves before with a different pattern, but I was happy to make another one because they are so practical and quick to complete. 

Here is my first attempt at cabling:


And here are my efforts as a coffee cup sleeve:


This patten was free online, and you can find it here.  I am happy that I learned a new technique!  Pretty soon I'll be knitting circular sweater dresses like the pros!  :)

Posted by Jen B On Monday, May 10, 2010 2 comments

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome, JennyLynn. I love that you are teaching yourself to knit and posting everything - you're an inspiration! I wish you lived closer though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks buddy! If I lived closer we would definitely have a knitting circle!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy