My farmer brother raised chickens again this year, and last week we bought four of them. Each of the chickens weighed between five and five and a half pounds, so perfect for roasting. Even though roast chicken dinner is fantastic, I decided I wanted more meal options from all these birds. I took to Google and set out to learn how to cut up a whole chicken. It seemed easier than I thought, so I was really excited to try it.

I learned how to divide chicken by watching this short YouTube video. I watched it about five times before I took to work on my chickens.


On chicken day, I successfully parted three chickens. The first one took about twenty minutes (maybe longer), as I figured out how the joints worked and the correct angle for the knife. I had the YouTube video called up on my iPod, so I could learn step by step as I worked (while frequently washing my hands). My first attempt wasn't perfect, but it helped me learn for the next one. The second chicken was far easier to part, taking about half the time as I got the hang of it. By the third chicken I was full speed and the breast pieces looked like they were from the grocery store. I was so happy and so proud of myself! Kitchen skills!

From my three chickens I got the following for the freezer:

2-pack of chicken legs x 3

2-pack of chicken breasts x 3

12 (split) chicken wings

3 chicken backs for soup stock

I also kept one of my chickens whole, so we can have a roast chicken one night too. Very excited.


Posted by Jen B On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7 comments

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful. I never ate meat, so when I started, I went to YouTube as well.

    Having Thanksgiving here again tonight. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still too hot to have the oven on for a chicken dinner, but soon enough.

      Delete
    2. I know, lots of folks don't like to bake or cook in the hot summer days but I can't help it. I don't mind the hot and I love to bake, way too much.

      Delete
  2. It helps when you've got a good knife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. I also got some kitchen shears and they worked great as well.

      Delete
  3. Go you with your mad knife skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha! Everything I want to learn is somewhere on YouTube so it helped me with my kitchen confidence. Very proud of myself! :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy