Happy New Year!!  New Years is that wonderful time when the calender changes and we tell ourselves it's a good time to start fresh and accomplish all those things we put off last year.  I think this someecard is pretty fitting:
www.someecards.com

So like everyone else this time of year, I am actively trying to eat better and exercise more.  Mostly I am just walking more and have made a clean break from all the junk food that had been a staple in my life since Halloween.  Things are going well so far.

One of my new habits is eating Oatmeal in the mornings.  Oatmeal is a regular breakfast for me, but until last week I was instant packaged all the way.  I had myself convinced that not only was cooking oatmeal way more work, it also tasted gross.  I discovered that I was wrong on both assumptions.  For the past eight days I have cooked the oatmeal and it takes about as long as boiling the kettle.  As for the taste, it tastes good for you - but not in a bad way.  It is also hearty, so it feels like I am eating a meal.  Plus 10 packages of instant oatmeal costs $2.00 for only 400g.  A bag of Quaker Quick Oats is $2.50 for 1000g.  It's an awesome deal too!

Here is how I have been preparing my morning oats:
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup quick oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 cup chopped walnuts

Bring water to boil and add oats.  Let simmer on low for 4 minutes, adding cinnamon and ginger while cooking.  Pour into a bowl and add walnuts.  Enjoy!

I am going to check out Bulk Barn sometime this week and see what other fun things I can add to my oatmeal.  Do you like oatmeal?  What do you add to yours?

Posted by Jen B On Monday, January 10, 2011 7 comments

7 comments:

  1. I do cinnammon and raisins, or sometimes cinnammon and little apple chunks. I don't think I've ever added nuts to oatmeal... good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pour a little maple syrup on mine. I'm not so into healthy living, apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Marilyn: I am for sure going to try little apple chunks. YUM!

    @Alison: Maple syrup rocks, healthy living be damned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put a big blob of jam in mine, or I'll had frozen fruit during the last minute of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frozen fruit is a great idea! I'll have to try that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been eating home made oatmeal in the mornings since just before Christmas. I do 2/3 cup oatmeal, and add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to it while it's cooking. This is enough for my daughters and I to have a small bowl each.

    I find I use less brown sugar when I cook it right in, than when I add it after it's cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't homemade oatmeal the best? Your recipe sounds yummy. If I'm not sweet enough in the morning, I'll add some brown sugar to mine too! Brown sugar for the win!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy