I had suffient warning before I tried the KFC Double Down.  My brother didn't like it.  My friend James didn't like it.  I had a pretty good idea it was not going to be good or worthwhile.  However I am a craver of pretty disgusting foods from time to time and this had the potential to be a disgusting food that I would enjoy.

The Double Down experience was a let down from the start.  The staff didn't anticipate so many people ordering the sandwich and it took an incredibly long time to prepare.  Believe me, I want my food cooked, but it took over twenty minutes from the time we ordered it to when we were back in the car with our 'sandwich'.  Twenty minutes was too long of a wait for something that was probably going to be gross.  So this kind of doubled our disappointment.

Next was the price.  We got one Double Down sandwich to split, and it was $7.90.  No fries, no drink - just the sandwich for $7.90.  I think that is really expensive, and my frugal brain only let me buy it because it was a novelty and (most likely) a one time thing.  Plus John and I split it - so it was only a $4 extravagance.

So it cost too much and it took to long to make, and when we finally got home to eat it... it was mediocre.  It wasn't as awful as everyone said and it absolutely wasn't as good as it could have been.  It was just mediocre.  And it didn't do much to quash my hunger.  We split the sandwich, so each of us only got half of the 30g of fat and the 1700mg of salt, but even if I had eaten a whole one, it just didn't seem like a lot of food.  Maybe I am biased by the $8 I spent on it, but there are many other things we could have spent $8 on that would not have left me hungry.  And would not have been mediocre.  If I could do it over I would have gotten a rotisserie chicken from the Real Canadian Superstore deli - it's the same price and a hell of a lot more satisfying.

Our Double Let Down

Posted by Jen B On Saturday, October 23, 2010 4 comments

4 comments:

  1. I can see a way to enjoy this "sandwich" - skip KFC altogether, skip one of the pieces of chicken, put it on a plate, add some garlic mashed potatoes and some broccoli on the side. A salad would be nice too.
    I had a similar experience with the "Baconator" at Wendy's. I'm a huge fan of bacon.. I'll try almost anything if there's bacon involved - but this thing was so greasy and heavy and disgusting that I only got a quarter of the way through before I gave up. When I dropped it in the trash can it made the loudest "whump". I was very glad I hadn't persevered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you love bacon! :P

    I like your idea of the dinner better. My brother suggested something like that too - that I should have gotten a couple buns and made two chicken breast sandwiches out it. Any variation on the original would have been better I am sure!

    Sorry about the Baconater. When they are built up with awesome names like that, they should at least taste good! I think the whole point of eating something so bad for you, is that it TASTES AMAZING and is worth all the calories and fat.

    The most recent thing I ate that was amazing was Applebees Southwestern burger. The patty had the perfect amount of grease, there were deep friend onion strings on it, and it was topped off with bacon and BBQ sauce! That was worth the 12,000 calories that I am sure it had!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the states, you can get a double-down for $5.99 in a combo with fries and a drink. It looks to be the same size as the one Tab & I had in Winslow. KFC in the USA is ridiculous. You can get the all-you-can-eat buffet lunch for less than the price you pay here in Canada for a 2-piece meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food prices in America are crazy. I would eat everything all the time if I lived there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

My Adorable Twitter

Let's connect!

What I'm Currently Reading

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 30 books.
hide

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 0 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen has read 5 books toward a goal of 25 books.
hide

Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

Good Eating

Active and Outdoorsy